**A CINDIRELLA TALE**

Just like the million others who is living under the same sky, I'm just trying to find that significant one to write my own fairy tale stories...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps


Michael Phelps is perhaps the most talk about swimmer for this Olympics. He is also perhaps the newest sports idol for many people.

I first noticed him at the 2004 Olympics. He was only a new guy then. But he caught my attention with his ahem, good look at first. I googled him and began to take an interest at him. I followed all swimming races during the Olympics, just to see him swim. He is not as outstanding as he is now but he soon retains my attention with his incredible swim and his genuine happiness when he received his medal. Little by little, I find myself cheering him on and watching to see if he will win another gold medal or break another record. Before I know it, I have become a big fan of him. I start to follow his news and stuffs and was truly excited to be able to see him swim in this Olympics.

But recently, something has been bothering me.

Suddenly, it seemed like almost everyone is a walking bible of Michael Phelps. Whether it is on msn or normal daily conversation, people are spouting information about him. Suddenly, everyone is acting like they have been following him for a long time.

“Do you know he has…” or “Do you know that he is..” are the common statements that I have been hearing. Whenever I hear these statements, I feel like retorting with another of this statement.

I feel a little mad. It is silly actually. It is like a silly competition between the fans, trying to see who is the more avid fan.

However, as silly as it may be, I just could not help the feeling of wanting to shout to these people that I’m not like them. I did not become his fan because of the tremendous media attention that he is getting this Olympics. I feel like telling the rest that I did not start supporting Phelps from this Olympics and that I have noticed and have been following him since the last Olympics. I feel like telling the rest who are always spouting info about him that I definitely know what you have know and maybe a little more.

Like I say, it is really a silly feeling. But I just don’t like it when people try to flaunt their so called ‘knowledge’ of my idol to me and acting as if they have always been the big fan. How many of them will actually talk about him once Olympics is over? How many will actually continue to follow his progress and competitions? I believe not a lot will. That is until the next Olympics arrive and he stood on the world stage once again to amaze us with his talent.

So at this little corner of mine, I shout out to the rest that I’m different from some of the so called ‘fans’.

To those who have been following him for a long time, let’s continue to support him for his next legend making.

P/S: To the reporter who mentioned that Phelps is not good looking but won people over with his goody boy behaviour, I stand to correct you. He is very good-looking, ok?

2 Wishes granted:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Saugaat said…

    i agree with u, he is good-looking indeed.

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger peccavi said…

    Didn't know you are a long time Phelps fan! Yeah agree with you that it's super irritating to have people flaunt facts abt your idol to you as if they have followed his career longer than you have.

    We haven't met for ages! Shall we go for a workout soon?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home